The utilization of state-of-art tracking technologies with geographic information systems
to understand fundamental physiological, behavioral, and ecological processes. We have tracked species ranging from minnows
to white sharks to harbor seals with ultrasonic, radio, archival, and satellite tags as well as detected them with automated
monitors. Our studies aim to elucidate the link between an animal's behavior and its social and physical environment.
Department of Wildife, Fish, & Conservation Biology
University of California, Davis
1334 Academic Surge Building
Davis, California 95616
Phone: (530) 752-5830
Scientific Articles: Hot off the Press
- Thys, T. et al., 2013. First record of the southern ocean sunfish, Mola ramsayi, in the Galápagos Marine Reserve. Marine Biodiversity Records, pp. 1-4. PDF
- Thomas, M.J., M.L. Peterson, N. Friedenburg, , J.P. Van Eenennaam, J.R. Johnson, J.J. Hoover, and A. P. Klimley. 2013. Stranding of spawning run green sturgeon in the Sacramento River: post rescue movements and population level effects. Journal of Applied Ichthyology; 33: 287-297; DOI.10.1080/02755947.2012.758201; PDF
- Klimley, A.P., P.T. Sandstrom, B. McFarlane, S. Lindley. 2013. A summary the use of electronic tagging to provide insights into salmon migration and survival. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 96:419–428; DOI 10.1007/s10641-012-0098-y; PDF
- Putman, N.F, K.J. Lohmann, E.M. Putman, T.P. Quinn, A P Klimley, and D.G. Noakes. 2013. Evidence for geomagnetic imprinting as a homing mechanism in Pacific salmon. Current Biology, 23: 1-5; .DOI 10.1016/j.cub.2012.12.041; PDF
- Klimley, A.P. 2013. Why publish Animal Biotelemetry? Animal Biotelemetry, 1:1: DOI 10.1186/2050-3385-1-1; PDF
- Cooke, S.J., J.D. Midwood, J.D. Thiem, P. Klimley, M.C. Lucas, E.B. Thorstag, J. Eiler, C. Holbrook, and B.C. Ebner. 2013. Tracking animals in freshwater with electronic tags: past, present, and future. Animal Biotelemetry, 1:5. DOI :10.1186/2050-3385-1-5; PDF
- Thomas, M.J., M.L. Peterson, E.D. Chapman, and A.P. Klimley. In press. Behavior, habitat use, and site fidelity of adult green sturgeon in the upper Sacramento River using acoustic telemetry," Environmental Biology of Fishes, 1-10; 10.1007/s10641-013-0132-8l; PDF
- Hoyos-Padilla M., Klimley, P. and F. Galvan-Magañ. In press. Movements of great white sharks (Carcharodon carcharias) in Guadalupe Island, Mexico. In del Prado, S. and E. Peters (Eds.), Isla Guadalupe: Restauración y Conservación. INE-SEMARNAT, Mexico City. PDF
- Hoyos-Padilla, E.M., F. Galván-Magaña, and A.P. Klimley. In press. El tiburón marillo: misterioso navegante de los ocèanos tropicales. World Wildlife Fund, Mexico, Telcelular Publicación Especial No. 3, 14 pp. PDF
- Bucaram SJ, Hearn A. Factors that inﬂuence the entry–exit decision and intensity of participation of ﬁshing ﬂeet for the Galapagos lobster ﬁshery. Mar. Policy (2013) PDF
- See all publications
Members of the Biotelemetry Laboratory: in the News
Dr. Hammerhead asks you to contribute to research
- Donations are appreciated for conservation-based research studies.
- You can obtain a Word copy of a donation letter by clicking on 'Dr. Hammerhead'.
- Send the letter with a check made out to the UC Regents to the Chairperson of the Department of Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology at the University.
- The Chair will return a letter acknowledging the gift to the donor.